Sunday, 06 January 2013

Happy New Year's Eve Party

According to  Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, in the Gregorian calendar, New Year's Eve is the last day of the year, is on December 31. In many countries, New Year's Eve is celebrated at evening social gatherings, where many people dance, eat, drink alcoholic beverages, and watch or light fireworks to mark the new year. The celebrations generally go on past midnight into January 1.



New Year's Eve
New Year's Eve

Fireworks at the London Eye in central London



For me, the missionary in Ntshongweni, South Africa, I found myself in Pretoria, South Africa in the home of my supervisors; Mike and Cindy Rodewald.

This Monday began with a trip to the grocery store so each missionary could purchase the necessary items for the dish they were bringing to the BRING AND BRAAI.

After a little shopping we took to a game of darts - using a blow gun darts.



My turn.  Deep breath and puff.


Seth Rodewald is my worthy opponent. 




What fun!

Evening arrived and so did time to worship the Lord, Jesus Christ and praising Him for the past year and pray for the upcoming year.  Church was at 6pm.


Back at home where we each put our dish out for the guest.  I had Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing from America that I brought with me to use with the huge veggie tray I had prepared earlier in the day.
Here Kristin and Carmela working at the counter and Emily at the refrigerator.  


Kristin and Emily in the scullery - peeking at the desserts :)


There is my veggie tray and our newest missionary Nicole - out on the patio.  It's summertime in South Africa.  What a beautiful night for a party.


While waiting, waiting, waiting for the meat to Braai (BBQ) we busted out my favorite game: Mexican Train.


Supervisor Cindy and Emily.


Mopane worms... are ya hungry.


Kristin and Jerry.



Kristin eating a Mopane Worm.  Ready...


Set...


Ugh...


Nicole's turn at the Mopane worm. 


Mopane Worm playing Mexican Train.


Cindy, Carmela, Hanna and Deborah standing with Emily seated watching the fun.



Me and a favorite from the youth group Miriam.


11:30pm, with Mexican Train game over - time to bust out the Scribble game.  Men vs. Women.


Champagne glasses ready for the bubbly to pop.


Why do the children always have more energy at midnight than the adults?


Hanna and Gunter ready to ring in the New Year.


I brought my vuvuzela with me. We all took turns blowing it.



The vuvuzela  is a plastic horn, about 65 centimetres (2 ft) long, which produces a loud monotone note.  The intensity of these outputs depends on the blowing technique and pressure exerted.
Traditionally made and inspired from a kudu horn, the vuvuzela was used to summon distant villagers to attend community gatherings. The vuvuzela is most used at football matches in South Africa, and it has become a symbol of South African football as the stadiums are filled with its loud and raucous sound that reflects the exhilaration of supporters.




Our gracious hosts: Mike and Cindy Rodewald.  Cheers!


Their son, Seth gets a real horn from inside the house.  Don't ask me what animal donated this horn.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment