Tuesday, 15 January 2013

A day in the life of a missionary 7:56am

Welcome to my world.  I woke up this morning - a beautiful Tuesday - January 15, 2013 knowing that today was the day we were to distribute school uniforms to the children in Ntshongweni, South Africa who are unable to purchase them themselves.  One item on my to-do list.  The rest of the day was in God's loving hands and I, being a jellyfish, was just gonna go with the flow.



First stop was my sweetest friends tuck shop.  Joyce is the most wonderful woman I think I've ever met.  She is a very bold witness of her faith in Jesus Christ, level headed, kind, extremely generous, intelligent business woman, culturally wise, talented, devoted to her family, loves her roots in Ntshonweni.


Here is her husband Stanley and her two grandchildren.



In this shop she sells packaged goods, cold soda and fresh-out-of-the vat of oil amaquina's.


Amaquina are balls of dough.  As an American I want them dusted with sugar, but nope - just a ball of grease dough.


She will make 110 amaquina's and by her speed, she has this task down to a science.  To purchase a amaquina it will cost ya 3 Rand = .35 cents


The reason I popped in Joyce's store this morning was to pick up my brand new Bible cover.  Isn't it beautiful?


She had beaded each bead.  Zulu's are famous for their bead work.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new Bible cover.  I asked what I owed her and she said nothing.  I insisted that I pay something and she said 20 Rand =$2.75.  I gave her a 50 Rand = $5.85.  Unbelievable!

I will treasure my Bible cover forever.  I will treasure my friendship with Joyce forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment