Monday, 14 January 2013

A day at the beach with preschoolers

I think in literal terms, therefore when the principal at the Lutheran creche where I volunteer as a missionary tells me that we are taking the children to the beach - I naturally think beach. You know, sand, waves, water... beach.    And why not, we are located near Durban one of the world's most beautiful city's on the Indian ocean. 



We have about 75 children who attend the creche... but this outing cost the parents an additional fee - an amount I can't remember because this 'beach day' was on December 14th.  Too long ago for this old brain.


The additional fee caused most the children not to attend this fun in sun day.  We had 10 children who did come along.


So, after and insanely long wait at the creche for the taxi to pick us up and digging through the donations for two spare bathing suits for the two girls who showed up with having brought one - we were finally off.


Durban beach front has this wonderful ****free**** large, shallow wading pool. 


The creche teachers found some shade, set up the two beach chairs that my ministry partner Ginger and I brought with us and plopped down.  Ginger and I played with the wee ones.


It is very common for the women here in South Africa to wear wigs and hair extensions.  It is also very common for the children to too.  To protect their hair they wear caps while in the water.


What a little cutie pie.




Trying to take our own picture.  Smile


The children had a wonderful time.


This was a special treat.




Ginger puts on her bathing suit or consume as it is called here and allow the children to 'wash' her hair.


What a good sport.


Zalanda is one of my favorites!!!



All the children stayed close to us and were very good.


They were following me as I walked on the pillars sticking out of the water.


See the water only came to their knees - perfect for children who don't know how to swim.


Lunch time - everyone sit on the wall.


Group picture - cheese.


Mrs. Thwala, the creche cook poses with the children.
See the Indian Ocean in the back ground and the pier?

What a wonderful, wet and special day!


No comments:

Post a Comment