Thursday, 17 January 2013

Doesn't Get Any Sadder Than This

"I will not leave you as orphans; 
I will come to you."  
John 14:18




In my November newsletter I acquainted the hundreds of people who are supporting my missionary journey in Ntshongweni, South Africa to Sihli & Nkululeko.   Mrs. Mazibuko, the primary principal at Charles Memorial introduced my ministry partner, Ginger and I to about them and their terrible blight. This was in October we were asked if the Lutheran church could do something for them.



These precious boys have been alone for the past three years living in a mud hut although the principal just found out this fact.  We have had more rain this year than the past 30 years and they are now living in mud since the rain is coming in.  When Mrs. Mazibuko found out she and the teachers began to give them tomato's one week, rice another, maybe some potatoes.  Not much but it was something and helped to keep them from begging for food.  ((The government does provide a free lunch for all learners (students)))


Today, that day arrived.  Yes, it's been four months - but hey that's speed lighting for something to get done in this culture.  Pastor Thwala, Ginger and I went back to the primary school for Pastor to meet these young men.  Only Nkululeko is at the primary school - his brother is now at the high school.


The new school year began yesterday and Nkululeko is now is 6th grade.  Nkululeko wearing a new school uniform met our Pastor. The uniform was purchased for him by his neighbors.  Children are not allowed to attend school without a uniform.



Children don't usually make eye contact with adults, this is a sign of respect.  



Pastor so gently asking him questions about their living conditions, where their hut is located, when their parents had died.  If they had any other relatives.




I rarely see computers out and about Ntshongweni but Charles Primary has one in the office for the secretary Mbally.  I just loved the power strips - kinda looks like my bedroom.


Don't know why my camera fogged over but here is Mbally working away.


Mrs. Mazibuko the principal who cares so very much for her students.  She taught 7th grade here at Charles Primary for 20 years.  She has been the principal for 4 years.


Next stop was to the Woza Moya High School to met Sihli.  Seated is Mr. Mathi, the deputy principal.  I just love his office - a table with a cloth and piles of paper - no computer, no phone.  There was a stick on his desk and when he left he placed the stick onto his belt loop.  Corporal punishment is allowed in South Africa.  I think more vice principals should carry a stick and I bet things would improve in American schools :)  


Here is Ginger and Nkululeko.  Nkululeko just started high school - he is in the 8th grade. Ginger and I gave him 55 Rand to purchase some food.  Pastor gave Nkululeko his phone number.

Below is my article from the November newsletter.


The most common comment or compliment I receive is that I look so happy in Ntshonweni serving our Lord as a missionary.  Thank you very much, I am!
But we have been together through this newsletter for 15 months now and it’s time you also experience the grim reality that I face and deal with daily; orphans.  The only possible blight I can imagine in life worst than being an orphan is being an orphan with HIV/AIDS. 
Pastor Thwala asked a social worker if there was a family who needed help.  We had a short term team  from Florida who wanted to invest their time and money in showing the Love of God in a hands-on way.  When we walked up to the Ndlovu’s house we all cried, including Pastor. Four orphans ages 24, 18, 16, 14 had been alone for the past three years.  The two oldest, girls had graduated high school and have four daughters between them. The two youngest are boys and attending high school.  These 7 had no electricity, no running water, no food, no clothes, no furniture, toys, no pots/broom/dishes, they had nothing.  Do you hear me? NOTHING.

And so it began, Extreme Makeover - Home Edition.  Through the grace of our loving Savior these orphans now have a home with dignity.  Their lives also improved with new clothes and school uniforms but as is God’s way, it gets even better.  The 5 year old is now enrolled in our creche, the 18 year old is enrolled in university starting the new school year - January.  Praise Jesus. It’s this type of  wonderful miracle that keeps me focused. 

As soon as these orphans are rescued I’m introduced to two brothers living off the street, begging for food and a request from the principal if the Lutheran church can build them a house. Lord have mercy! The poverty and the needs here are overwhelming.
I may not be able to help the boys, but we love and serve a God who is a miracle worker. A God of hope and a future. I labor knowing God is our Father and we have a forever home in heaven.


The good news is that Pastor Thwala is now fully involved in bringing the love the Jesus to these two wonderful boys and Lord willing that love will be in the form of a shelter for them.  The cost to build a simple two room house (kitchen & bedroom) is around 6 000 Rand = $700. 

Please pray with me that the Lord will indeed have mercy and the basic of all human needs will be met in the mighty name of our Saviour Christ Jesus.





No comments:

Post a Comment