Monday, 21 January 2013

Philippian Church needs a roof

Every single, solitary day someone asks me for something.  Everyday.  Without exception.  Not a day goes by that I'm not told the saddest story; a story that breaks my heart.  How I keep from becoming so despondent with all this tragedy is a miracle from God Almighty.  

So what is a missionary to do with the constant barrage of humanity blight?  I listen, listen, listen and tell them I will pray for them.  Even if I had one million Rand to give the people, that is not my purpose here and although they think money is the answer, it's not.  Only a personal relationship with Jesus will solve their woes.


So, for the past year I've been friends with Philip.  He works at the taxi rank by my house and is quick with a hug and a kind word.  His English isn't great and my Zulu is worst but we manage.  For a year he has bombarded me with the request to help his church get a new roof which is in Kwa Nyuswa, South Africa.


Mostly to get him off my back I agreed and today I went with him to meet Philip's Bishop, his Pastor and see the half finished church.  Pictured is Philip on the left and Pastor on the right standing in the rondavel that they now worship in.  Each Sunday this rondavel is packed with people with more standing outside. Praise Jesus.


The Pastor picked us up from a petrol station in Bothas Hills.  The Bishop in red.


Here is the church thus far.  They need a roof, windows and doors.  The original plan also calls for a kitchen, indoor bathrooms and offices.  This is phase one.


Nice large, sturdy building on a hill with the most beautiful views.


I forgot to ask how long it has been left in this state.  I asked what it would cost and they said that the quotation (estimate) is outdated now but would get us current figures.  They have the man power - they just need the money.


That is the Inanda Dam and beyond it is the Indian Ocean.  The Pastor said that on a clear day you can see the huge cargo ships on the ocean.



Two goats were lounging in the building when we arrived.  I joked they were there for the sacrifice - hahaha good one Zeal.


Back of the church. 


Side of the church in The Valley of 1,000 Hills.  


I said this will be the pew I will sit in, the view was breathtaking!


This little friend was tied up outside of the church.


We had a very long discussion about their hopes and dreams for God's Kingdom in this place.  They are concerned about the youth in the community and lack of job and lack of a future for them.  This building would be used during the week for job training, teaching of skills where all could gather.


I acquiesced to pacify Philip never expecting to actually enjoying these very Godly men.  We prayed together asking God that His will be done, in His timing, for these wonderful men and the church they love so much may be completed to the glory of God the Father.


I don't think they had ever seen a self-timer on a camera before - that was kinda funny but we got the shot of the 5 people who would love to see a miracle happen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment