Thursday, 17 January 2013

The Spiritual Lessons From A Goat

Throughout the Scripture goats are always getting a bad rap.


 "Then make fifty gold clasps and use them to fasten the curtains together so that the tabernacle is a unit.
“Make curtains of goat hair for the tent over the tabernacle—eleven altogether. All eleven curtains are to be the same size—thirty cubits long and four cubits wide." Exodus 26:6-8


“‘If your offering is a goat, you are to present it before the Lord..." 

Leviticus 3:12




Purify every garment as well as everything made of leather, goat hair or wood.” Numbers 31:20


 "All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left." Matthew 25:31-34







Although King Solomon seems to have some affection for the Capra aegagrus hircus.
 "How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes behind your veil are doves. Your hair is like a flock of goats descending from the hills of Gilead." Song of Songs 4:1


The Bible tells us goats were used to provide hair for curtains and clothing, they were an offering, and the ultimate insult was referring to them as bad or evil.  Only King Solomon saw what I see daily in Ntshongweni, South Africa, where I serve as a missionary.  I see beauty in these lovely animals.





I also see a very crucial biblical principal.  Everyday I see a nanny goat and her kid.  The mother is usually tied to something - a bush or tree.  But the kid is NEVER tied up.  It doesn't have to be!  That baby is not - for any reason - going to leave the side of its mother.  The small, dumb, dirty and defenseless beast knows one thing; staying close to its parent is its only chance for survival.  The baby knows not to wander too far from its source of food and protection.



I hate it when furry animals are smarter than me.  Why do I stray from my loving Heavenly Father who desires to protect me and provide my soul nourishment?   I just want to be a goat.





 "Remain in me, as I also remain in you.No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.  If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."  John 15:4-8


May the power of the Holy Spirit make us all baby goats, staying close to our loving parent.  maaaaaaaaaa   maaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

No comments:

Post a Comment