Sunday, 20 January 2013

My Bedroom and My Flat

Cindy Rodewald is coming to Hillcrest/ Ntshongweni with Stephanie Jones.  Cindy is my supervisor and Stephanie is a GEO missionary, like myself. Stephanie is based in Germany and works with media and promoting God's Kingdom through filming other missionaries, like myself.  Since Cindy and Stephanie are driving and going back to Pretoria - near Johannesburg Cindy will be taking my two big suitcases so three weeks later when I travel to Jo'burg to depart for the United States my flight will be cheaper and easier.


So, in true Zeal fashion, I'm already grieving the dismantleing of my life in South Africa.  Here is my desk with a picture of me holding Iwandi in a fleur-de-lis picture frame, a lamp from my predesessors, my Bible and IPad.  On my wall is two maps of the continuent of Africa, favorite pictures, a Nelson Mandel quote and center is the contract with CPH for the articles I am writing for their magazine about being a missionary.


My wardrobe


I was originally assigned to Kampala, Uganda.  Thinking I would not have access to toiletries, I bought 18 months worth of everything.  Q-tips, shampoo, deodorant, hand sanitizer, contact solution, everything.  When I unpacked in this flat I filled the top shelf; it looked like a drug store.   Only now can I tell that my time is almost over... I'm on the last little bit of everything.




Bedside table.  I have journaled each night - no possible way I could remember all the miracles and gifts from God that happen each day without it.  My little Africa book - a birthday present from my friend Debbie.  I found the green bottle in the dirt and just love it.  It is very odd and quite heavy.


In a Zulu woven basket are two yoga mats - again from Shara and Julia - which will be donated to the Hillcrest AIDS Center and my 6 umbrellas.  Yes, six!  It rains a lot here and when I'm out and about in the rain without an umbrella I simply purchase a new one 20 Rand = $2.25.  It will be fun to leave these here with unbrellaless friends.


My mirror with favorite pictures and of course the flag of South Africa.


My bed with my doll and my wall hanging which I absoluted adore.  I've not seen it for sale since I purchased it.  I bought note cards with this picture and when I saw it in a large print I snapped it up.


Within the first 6 weeks I was feeling low and needed a boost, in this cute little wooden chest was bubble bath and other sweet smelling bath items.  I now keep my money in it. 


I mentioned while in a tourist cultural shop that I loved, loved, loved the hippo.  For Christmas my sweet friend Kaitlyn gave me the hippo.  While on safari at Kruger I bought myself the zebra.  The elephant was a birthday gift from my ministry partner Ginger.  Early on I thought I would buy all the animals but from December to February Kaitlyn, Ginger and I were the 3 musketeers and I like only having these three to remind me of us being inseparable friends who lived by the motto, 
'all for one, one for all.' 


A paid Zodwa 100 Rand to make me this quilt.


My 'bookcase' on the window sill.  What a Lutheran I am... Lutheran Service Book, Book of Concord, Lutheranism 101 and many more.


My transom window - I'm such a lite sleeper that the light coming in bothered me - until Ginger cleverly used this box to solve the problem.


View from the hallway.



There is no storage in the bathroom so Ginger and I each bought ourselves these shelves.  Mine is stuffed full.



She keeps the bottom two shelves empty so when we have guests they have somewhere to stash their gear... Ginger is so nice :)


18 months of taking a bath has taken its toll.  I'm dying for a shower.


South Africa is a very dangerous country.  We have security everywhere but it doesn't help - the bad guys still get in.  This gate to get to the set of four flats - one of which is ours.



Bars on our front door.


Bars on our windows


I lock myself in my room each night.



My windows lead to the sun room so my room is very hot in the summer because there is no air.  Very warm in the winter because there is no cold air.


The world's thinnest  kitchen


The scullery- my next home must 

                                                                D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y


 have a scullery!!!!!!!!! 


The toilet room.


The bathroom is split which seems odd but with as much overnight company that we've had it has been very accommodating.





Our lounge.  Three love seats.  Man oh man all I want to do is stretch out on a large couch when I get to America.




Light switches are on the outside of the rooms in which you need the light.  Pictured above are the lights for the Left toilet room - Right tub room - Lower hall light.

No comments:

Post a Comment