Saturday, 19 January 2013

Romans 12:13 PRACTICE HOSPITALITY


Romans 12

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.




Being a missionary with an 18 month commitment is kinda like having a pregnant girlfriend.  To the missionary the feeling of time varies; to others your 18 months moves like speed lighting. If one more person tells me, 'wow that was fast..." 
Sadly, I leave beautiful South Africa next month and the farewells have begun.


My going away brunch today was in the magnificent home of Veronika Beier and her husband.

Hilga was kind enough to transport us.
For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.





Drinks: lemon water, fruit juice, coffee & tea



Spread of delicious breads, pancakes, muffins

I thought I was on a cruise ship with this beautifully set table. I had to ask what the little-biddy folk and knife were for ~ fruit.

For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.






Veronika has the gift of hospitality and such lovely tableware.


I must make this for my guests someday, bangers (sausage), tomato's, with bacon - yummy.  Served on a hot plate which in fact keep the plates hot.


Little bowls of butter with chives and the tiny knife.

so much food, just look at those cheery cherry tomatoes


Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.



my plate of one pancake, bread and bacon/tomato  


                          


Hostess and guest of honor: Veronika and Ginger.


Guests: Margie and Hilga

These three sweet old friends all speak German and occasionally slipped into their native tongue... which I didn't mind since I listen to Zulu most all day and am completely use to not knowing what's going on.  hahahaha


Enjoying conversation about our work in Ntshongweni, their church and friends and of course when women gather... our children.  Interesting that Veronika has a son & family living in Canada.  Hilga has a daughter and family living in New Jersey, USA and a son in Germany.  Margie has a daughter in London, United Kingdom.  I don't know how I would feel if my children baled on America to live in another country, says the mother who just spent 18 months away from them. (Do as I say, not as I do).





Such quick and deep friends: Ginger, Veronika and I



Our parting gift a Christian book mark with chocolate tied to the backside. Just an example of her thoughtfulness to detail.

She kept talking about the candles on her tree.  

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.



The Beier's front garden was more like a park than any front yard I've ever seen.



17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 




Why is it always so difficult for women to say goodbye?


Veronika had lemons from her tree and I asked if she had one spare I could have.  Generosity is another of her stunning qualities.

As I enjoyed my brunch all I could think about was Romans 12.  St. Paul includes quite a daunting to-do list for Christ followers.  I always joked that verse 13 was aimed at me... practice hospitality.  A spiritual gift I feel I lack but PRACTICE nonetheless.  Veronika doesn't practice hospitality, she exudes hospitality!  Thank you for a very pleasant day.

20 On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.





No comments:

Post a Comment