Saturday, 26 January 2013

Woza Moya High School

Wednesday, January 23rd I left my flat in Hillcrest at 6:45am instead of the usual 7:15am for a special treat.


My ministry partner, Ginger, and I arrived at Woza Moya High School at 7:20am - which is excellent time.  We came today because the high school - the only high school in Ntshongweni - where I serve as a missionary was having an assembly.


It is so fun to know so many of the people in this great township.  Here Ginger is greeting our friends.




Like a trail of ants, 1,000's of students in grades 8 - 12 came down the road (in the center of the picture) to receive their education.


Unlike American high schools where each student drives a car - only a few cars are parked on this dirt. Only a few of the teachers have a car.  







When I think of high school assemblies I think back to Loara High School in Anaheim, California. I graduated in 1977.  I loved assemblies all the fun and excitement.  The band playing and games and antics.  At Woza Moya no cheerleaders.

Our sweet friends: (L) Ayanda; (R) Nqobile 


These beautiful girls are both in 8th grade and just began to attend high school.  Not every child in the township attends school - uniforms are required and then they only take a certain number, the high school isn't big enough for everyone to attend.


Our other favorities:  (L) Buyelani Grade 9; (R)  Nhianhia Grade 10



The assembly, which is held every Monday & Wednesday consists of students standing in a straight line, I assume by class.  The principal speaks - Mr. Mathi - who has a stick in his belt loop for corporate punishment - speaks to the group.



This boys tie is special, the writing and emblem states 2013 Matric (graduate).  Congratulations young man - you will graduate in December.  A great honor indeed.


 Here is Pastor Thwala giving his message from the Bible WITHOUT a mic.  From the book of Exodus he shouts to the 1,000 + youth in the very hot summer sun that they need a leader and that leader is Jesus.



The gospel of Jesus Christ is welcomed at the government schools and freely talked about.  They sang the most beautiful song to Jesus.  Yes, 1,000+ all singing to Jesus in their amazing, I-have-no-words-to-describe the Zulu harmony.  I thought I was in heaven.  Who needs silly games, cheerleaders and marching bands; the message of the love of Christ is all these young people need.
















No comments:

Post a Comment