Saturday, 29 December 2012

Crochet'ing fool


Friday, November 30, the eve of World's AIDS Day,  I went down the street to Hillcrest AIDS Center to do my part to make aware of this dreadful disease.  





They were wrapping trees in the city I live in crocheted squares - called a Yarnbomb.


Of course I've never in my life crocheted.  


With crochet hook and yarn in hand down I went because I was told there would be a teacher available to teach those of us less fortunate folks.


Poor, dear Theresa was my mentor and she should win the patience of Job award.


With instructions like, relax your right hand and let's try again - we worked and worked to make a row of stitches.  
My favorite minute was when she stood behind me, placed her right hand on top of my right hand, her left hand on top of mine and together: black teaching white we worked together.  It was a beautiful moment in time.


This cold, wet, rainy day I participated in the World's AIDS day.  The jacaranda tree being covered.


Lord have mercy and end this awful disease.


Smaller neighboring trees

More than 30 years after the emergence of HIV/AIDS and almost 20 years after the end of apartheid, South Africa holds the dubious distinction of having the most people afflicted with the deadly virus





No comments:

Post a Comment