Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Funeral Feet

Funeral Feet



I still had my sandals on

Saturday, February 16th my ministry partner Ginger, our friend from America, Jessica and I accompanied Pastor Thwala to Wartburg as he was invited as the Dean of this providence to preach at a funeral.  


Ginger, Jessica and me

Obviously, I couldn't take pictures at this funeral.  Wish I could have. We were to arrive at 9:30am but of course it was after 10am.  Couldn't drive the car near the tent due to the mud.  So we walked quite a ways DOWNHILL in mud in sandals. I was wearing a long skirt. Remember that it is summer here in South Africa.  Our first site was very sad; seeing the men dig the hole in the corn field for the casket.


My Chico mud feet

I've been to too many funerals and this one was typical except it was held under a huge white tent. Good thing because it was raining throughout the several hour long ceremony.





After the service was over and the casket lowered into the ground - I cry every time and I don't even know the gentlemen who is now with the Lord - we went back to the tent for a wonderful lunch.

When we left, we had to walk UP HILL in the rain, wearing a long skirt, to the car only to find that the other cars were having trouble getting out. Due to all the rain and mud they were slip-sliding and fish tailing everywhere.  Poor Pastor, wearing his suit was pushing and pulling cars trying to help get them on their way.  And actually out of our way so we could leave.  It was kinda scary and I did actually think we might be stuck in Wartburg.  No AAA in South Africa.

By the grace of God we made it out - made it home - and left our dirty sandals at the door. 




























No comments:

Post a Comment