Sunday, 12 August 2012

Laundry Day

Raise your hand if you love doing your family's laundry.  Okay, thanks for being honest, now raise your hand if you loathe laundry day. Probably for most this task isn't confined to a mere one day of the week but to several.


Welcome to laundry day in Ntshongweni, South Africa.  At the end of the property where the Lutheran creche sits is the township tap.


Here the townsfolk must come if they want water.


I know most of my friends collect the water and take it back to their homes... for drinking, bathing and laundry.


Clever, clever, clever using a soda bottle to funnel the water into the containers.


This day, which was actually October 2011, the women come to do the dirty deed; laundry.


At my missionary orientation, which covered two whole weeks, not once was laundry mentioned.  I'm so clueless ... completing this task never crossed my mind.




Well, actually I knew in 18 months I would have to do my laundry but the part about hanging my clothes out on a line I never thought about.  Hanging my dedicates out on a line for all to see - ewwwwwww. Why wasn't this fact brought up?  I might have taken more care in which panties I packed. 








Like I said, all day long you can watch the children, women and men coming to gather their water.


Happy to take a break from this difficult work for a quick picture.



The community knows community.  Maybe we would all enjoy laundry day more if we were working along side our friends?


It can't be easy to be this pregnant and doing such hard work.



Guess what a gallon of water weights? One gallon tips the scales at 8.34 pounds. 




These fine folks are hauling more than one wee gallon - this suckers are huge and heavy.  Plus this beautiful country is nick named: Valley of 1,000 hills.  Yes, hills and heavy water - ouch.




Please don’t EVER complain about doing your laundry with your Kenmore in your laundry room until you’ve done your laundry in Ntshongweni, South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment