Sunday, 05 August 2012

Fill 'er up - NOT

It's a bad habit and one I need break.  When I sit in the front seat of the taxi I ALWAYS look at the gas gauge.  I don't know why... there is nothing I can do about the amount of gas in the vehicle I'm a riding as a passenger.


So here yet again, the taxi is on E.  Empty; actually below E and I couldn't help see the bright, red warning light was also on.


Never mind that Ginger and I and everyone else on the taxi needed to get to work, the driver (pictured above) stopped at the petrol station.


In South Africa there is no such thing as self-serve gas stations, oh no this country has employment opportunities of every imaginable type - most you are expected to tip the person performing the task.
So yes, one is expected to tip the guy who pumps your gas.


11.32 Rand per liter = $1.42 but remember that it takes 3.78 liters to make ONE gallon. so that's $5.36 for one gallon of gasoline.

200 Rand = $25 


Back to the employment in South Africa, they hire a ton of people to work at most everyplace.  So finding an employee willing to pose for a picture or just sitting around is easy.


It adds up quickly.



Ginger Taff my ministry partner waits in the taxi with the other ladies.


We got our petrol and we are ready to roll.


Never in my daily commute in taxis have I been in one with a full gas tank.  Never in all the times we have stopped to fill up for petrol has the driver put anymore than a few hundred Rand into the tank.
Never will I hear the words... fill 'er up.

No comments:

Post a Comment