Sunday, 18 November 2012

Sunday's Chores

Chores... we all have them, we all have to get em done.


My Sunday chore was to take pictures of some of the orphans whom a generous American had provided linen for.  Here is our friend Lucky.  


His bed was all beautifully made but I peeked if the mattress pad was on. Nope!  I see the pad in the package on the shelf and explained that we have to strip the bed and start all over.




Then I noticed that the new sheet wasn't on the bed either.  


So, here you see that we re-made the bed using ALL the new linen.  He was so proud of his bed.


Sunday chore... wash the school uniform.  On the left is the little girls dress, hung upside down, next is pants, third article was the school sweater and last but not least were the black socks.  All ready for school tomorrow.


Little sister peeking out the of the doorway.


After taking pictures of the girls laundry, I see Lucky gathering water for the family.


So, I decide to 'help'.  Empty water jugs in a wheelbarrow going down hill is fun and easy.


Lucky loved using my camera.


Cheese, wheeeeee this is fun.  I'm a Zulu woman!


Walking past the creche on the way to the township water tap.




I knew that it took two plastic funnels, made from cut soda bottles.  One goes into the water jug, the second is used on the tap to push up on the spigot.  I tried and tried and tried but I didn't have the strength to it push up.   


Playing in the wheelbarrow.  It took a while for the jugs to fill.


Finally, I got it going.  I had to ask, 'how do you know when the jug is full?'  

The answer... when the water overflows!  Oh duh.


Okay, so now how do these large, extremely heavy container get back into the wheelbarrow?

I lifted one into the wheelbarrow.

How many times a day do you have to fetch water?  Four.  Four times a day, everyday. Day after day after day.  WOW.  



Little girls come along for all the fun.



Another teenager also arrived to gather water for her family.


Lucky pushed the heavy wheelbarrow UP the hill to this trail to his house.



Next stop... another house of orphans to take pictures of their new linen.  But the house was the neighborhood hangout.


At the house were all these little girls jumping rope.


I love that this girl tucked her dress into her underpants.  I get tired of my long skirt always dragging on the dirt roads and now that it's rainy season, my skirt is dragging in the mud. Now I know to simply tuck my skirt into my panties.





They were singing the sweetest little Zulu song.










Another Sunday chore... family laundry hanging on the neighbors line.




I just love the chickens always clucking around.




Back to my chore... clearly mattress pads aren't common knowledge.  Again I found one in the corner in the package but it was damp and I hung it on the clothesline but explained that when it's dry it needs to be placed on the bed.  Here is sister's bed, so beautifully made.


Happy teen-ager on her pretty bed.


I didn't even peek to see if the boys had put  their mattress pads on.  The boys were at church and didn't know that a random American would be coming over to take a picture of their beds.


Second brother's bed.


Another Sunday chore... clearing his property.  We spoke with this man on Friday when he had his goat on a rope and walking it to the spot where it would be tied for the day.



I just love goats and am always asking around where I could purchase one for myself.



I completed my Sunday chores of taking pictures of beds.  The townsfolk spent their day working about the house.  Time to rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment