Saturday, 12 May 2012

Hair... or lack thereof!

I find the children so beautiful in Ntshongweni, South Africa.  Well, that's not true; I find everyone here to be strikingly stunning.  


I continue to have trouble telling people apart and joke 'that they all look alike', until I realize that this isn't a joke, but a fact.  The men all shave their heads, from childhood no male has hair. 
I often use a person's hair to remember what they look like but when NO man has hair and the women change their hair weekly, it's difficult.


The females have three choices - from childhood they may have shaved heads, braid their hair or wear a wig.  In any given week a woman could sport all three.


This is one of my favorite little girls, I've never seen her with long hair.


The hair braiding is amazing and so awesome.  


How these little girls sit for hours for this tedious task to be completed I'll never know.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hair
Gray945.png
Cross section of a hair
Latinunguis
CodeTH H3.12.00.3.02001
Hair is a filamentous biomaterial, that grows from follicles found in the dermis. Hair is one of the defining characteristics of mammals, but is also found in other animals.



The average length of time these girls keep the same braid is between one to three weeks.


I know my daughter would never sit long enough for me to braid like this.  Fortunately, I never knew how to braid like this.  


Amazing isn't it?


So different and interesting.


Song of Songs 4:1-3


 How beautiful you are, my darling!
    Oh, how beautiful!
    Your eyes behind your veil are doves. 
Your hair is like a flock of goats
    descending from the hills of Gilead. 
Your teeth are like a flock of sheep just shorn,  coming up from the washing.
Each has its twin;
    not one of them is alone. 
 Your lips are like a scarlet ribbon;
    your mouth is lovely. 
Your temples behind your veil
    are like the halves of a pomegranate.




Some just wear it short like sweet Nmonde.



Male never have long hair - and never will.




Seems like all the women know how to braid and it is a common sight to see them braiding each other's hair.



This is an extension that they braid into their natural hair.



Children don't wear wigs but many adult women do.










Occasionally, we'll see hair accessories.  Everyday I wear my hair up and they love to take my ponytail holder or barrettes out of my hair.  They also love to play with my long, straight, stringy hair. 


Ezekiel 5:1

God’s Razor of Judgment
 “Now, son of man, take a sharp sword and use it as a barber’s razor to shave your head and your beard.









Most children have recessing hair lines.




Matthew 10:29-31


 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.






Once a woman is engaged to be married she is to cover her hair.  So many beautiful scarves worn is so many wonderful ways.  

No comments:

Post a Comment