Monday, 30 April 2012

Cinder Block Sunday


CINDER BLOCK SUNDAY

I've never seen anything like it.  Walking to church in Ntshongweni, South Africa on April 29 I saw 6 men working.  Well, actually only 3 were doing any type of physical labor, the other 3 were dressed nicely, I suppose for church.


They were making cinder blocks FROM SCRATCH!  


I asked what the  cinder blocks were needed for and they said they were going to build a one room HOUSE!

Here is the recipe... mix in large hole mix, 1 part sand; 1 part cement; 1 part water.




Adding the water.  Now remember that there is no faucet on this plot of land so any and all water had to be hauled to this location.


One white bucket of water.



Fill the form with the mixture, making sure it is the correct consistency.  In giving me instructions, they stressed that it had to be the correct consistency.   Ah Okay, I'll remember that next time I mix up the ingredients for cinder blocks.


It only took a few minutes in the form before he turned it over and set the still wet, newly formed cinder block with the rest of them.  See the stick behind him??? He used it to level off the top, like using a knife over a measuring cup of flour.


The form has two pieces - off comes #1.


Off comes #2.


Two were mixing at the hole and one was filling the form, turning them over and taking the form off.  Licky split.


Of course they wanted a photo.  I went to the local camera shop in Hillcrest, where I live, and printed 6 copies of this picture... they will be thrilled.




He seemed to be the ring leader - or most probably he just had the best English and thus was left to explain everything to me.  The best part is that this home is being built directly across the dirt road from my church.  It will so fun to watch it go from the cinder block building phase to completion.  I promise to blog the whole event.  Things don't happen very fast here in Africa and I only have 9 more months here so I hope to see a completed project.  

What fun to welcome the family to our area and pray a blessing over their new home.  Praying that this home be filled with joy, love and the presence of Jesus Christ.


 "My people will live in peaceful dwelling places,
    in secure homes, 
    in undisturbed places of rest."

Isaiah 32:18





No comments:

Post a Comment