Sunday, 23 September 2012

Heritage Day

Heritage Day (South Africa)


To me it feels like there are countless public holidays in this country.  Fourteen official days in South Africa to be exact.  That's many more than the United States of America.  Monday, September 24th is yet another day of stores either not being open at all or closing early.  Another day for friends and family to hang out together.  Another day, where the taxis won't be running on any kind of schedule so I will stay in Hillcrest rather than run the risk of getting stuck in Ntshongweni without a taxi home.   

1 JanuaryNew Year's Day
2 January**Public holiday
21 MarchHuman Rights Day
6 April *Good Friday (Friday before Easter Sunday)
9 April *Family Day (Monday after Easter Sunday)
27 AprilFreedom Day
1 MayWorkers' Day
16 JuneYouth Day
9 AugustNational Women's Day
24 SeptemberHeritage Day
16 DecemberDay of Reconciliation
17 December**Public holiday
25 DecemberChristmas Day
26 DecemberDay of Goodwill

Today, Sunday, September 23rd is a day I've been looking forward to for an entire year.  Last year the week after Heritage Day I arrived in Hillcrest and Shara & Julia told us about wearing traditional Zulu clothing to church - I couldn't wait.  365 days have passed and today I was so excited to don my Zulu clothing.


After church the women happily posed for photo's in their Zulu garb.



Celebration of Heritage Day

South Africans celebrate Heritage Day by remembering the cultural heritage of the many cultures that make up the population of South Africa. Various events are staged throughout the country to commemorate this day.



One of these things is not like the others, One of these things just doesn't belong, Can you tell which thing is not like the others By the time I finish my song? 


My ministry partner Ginger and me.


I love how beautiful the women were.


As we walked through Hillcrest, Pinetown and Ntshongweni we were met with various comments and stares.  97% of the folks told Ginger and I how beautiful we looked.  We told them we were celebrating them and their heritage.  They all seemed pleased.  We were also told we were 'cute', 'looking good' and 'stunning'.  Not everyday you see white women dressed in Zulu wear.


Men traditionally wear these patchwork looking pants.


My friend Nomthandazo Thwala (above)
Heritage Day, 24 September, is a public holiday on which South Africans across the spectrum are encouraged to celebrate their cultural heritage and the diversity of their beliefs and traditions, in the wider context of a nation that belongs to all its people.



The happy couple; Pastor and his bride.

I really need to get some beaded shoes and something for my ankles.



No comments:

Post a Comment