Friday, 14 September 2012

Flower Hair Bow Donation

My sweet friend Amanda is amazing.  We met in January 2010 in the Dominican Republic as we both were there with Compassion International to meet the children we each sponsor through this wonderful ministry.



Amanda and I were fast friends and have stayed in touch through the years :)

These girls really did love the hair bow - it's just that they just woke up from their nap and didn't know I was so quickly pinning a bow in her hair and taking her picture.

Amanda has a huge heart for children and a tremendous craft at all things crafty.


  Crocheted flowers for the girls at the Lutheran creche, where I serve as a missionary, was her donation to us. 


But there was an immediate problem.  Amanda mailed them to South Africa in July.


July is the dead of winter here.  All the children, and missionaries, have to wear a hat to keep warm.  There is no heating of any type here.  Believe me - burrrrr

I'm so tired... can I go back to my mat and finish my nap?

So, the grand gift giving had to wait to mid September - Awwwww Sweet spring time.


The next problem was that there were not enough for all the girls.


So I decided to hand them out as the children were leaving in the afternoon, just in case those who didn't get one wouldn't know that those who left before them did.  Does that make sense?


So, the next problem is I usually leave for my one hour + compute before the children wake up from their afternoon naps.  Not today, I stayed.


But I couldn't stay too long, so I decided to hand them out, classroom by classroom, to the 'sleeping' girls.


They all loved them!


If a child was actually asleep I either left it by her mat or put it into her backpack.


By the grace of God, every girl (with hair) got a hair bow.


It is very common in South Africa for girls to have short hair or have their heads shaved completely bald.


'Shoota, shoota,' they loved getting their picture taken with their new accessory.


Thank you Amanda for loving these precious little girls in Ntshongweni with your talent and making us all so beautiful.

1 comment: